Wednesday, February 1, 2012

doctors vs. car salesmen

firstly, my little brother's surgeries both went well and he's already out of the hospital.  prayers that he will be pain free soon!  the time spent at the hospital was anxiety-inducing for me, of course, and i'm now sick as a dog.  i got home after monday's surgery and spent all night long lying on the bathroom floor/hugging the toilet.  i don't know if it's stress related or if i picked up a bug at the hospital.  either way i'm down and out! 

none of the anxiety there equalled the panic i felt on saturday when i accompanied my mother to test-drive a car at the nissan dealership where i bought my post-flood car.  5 weeks after the flood i spent an agonizing day buying a car i didn't want (only because my pre-flood car was paid for and in great shape--i like my new car) and i was having to replace it along with EVERYTHING else.  i rode with her for one test-drive then left to eat lunch and visit with a friend.  on my way back to nashville i stopped by to see the car she decided to buy and was struck with severe panic over the thought of having to step foot into the loan manager's office where i signed all my final papers.  i couldn't go in with her instead i sat in the show-room looking crazy both because of my attempt to calm myself with slow, loud, yoga breathing and also my occasional elvis sing-along to the weekly saturday elvis special on the radio (this is tennessee after all!)

upon seeing her car and leaving the dealership i had to pull my nissan over into the mcdonald's parking lot to calm my panic attack before i could get on the interstate for the 50 mile drive home.  it was awful.  since i had gotten a haircut while in dickson i was itchy from both the anxiety and the hair-covered sweatshirt i was wearing so i jumped in the shower when i got home and stood under the HOT water until my skin was lobster-red and i could breathe evenly.  it seems that though my panic attacks are less frequent they are much more intense when they come.  perhaps not a good trade-off.  i can't tell.

grace and peace  

No comments:

Post a Comment