Saturday, January 7, 2012

no more excuses...dammit!

below is the text of an e-mail sent to my therapist after yesterday's session where i was told to stop making excuses and do something different if i wanted to feel different...for me, right now, exercise is that thing... 

"i did 3 laps at the lipscomb track (a leisurely mile and a half) with only 2 terrifying instances:
1. a minivan pulled into the parking lot while i was on the opposite side of the track and proceeded to unload a shovel and some other unidentifiable item from the back--i was positive that i was going to be killed and buried under the baseball field. luckily they were gone by the time i got to the parking lot side. i may have literally dodged a bullet on that one;
2. some sort of bug flew up my nose so i'm certain that at this very moment some sort of burrowing insect is laying eggs in my very fragile brain.
so thanks for that. i hope you're happy now!" 
 
(she responded favorably and mentioned that the shovel-carrying van was most likely a groundskeeper--i never even thought of that--i knew i was a goner!)
 
i am 3 months away from my birthday and i am committed to seeing a difference in my exercise habits and seeing a change in my body and mind even if they are small changes.  i don't know about the rest of it but at least that is something that i can control.  even if i have to run down streets lined with half-finished houses with building permits still taped in windows (like mine) and dodge trucks full of building materials or use the elliptical machine in what used to be my guest bedroom but is now a storage room full of unhung doors, tools, boxes of who-knows-what, etc.  getting some exercise for my mental and physical health is at least the one thing i can choose and control. 
 
wish me well, and
 
grace and peace

2 comments: