Thursday, January 19, 2012

when good knees go bad

when i was 16 i was diagnosed with an hereditary bone disease in my knees.  a lot of us bradfords have it.  i hasn't bothered me too much in recent years and it was always worse in my right knee which became known as my "bad knee" and therefore by default my left knee has always been my "good knee."

until recently that is.  lately the good knee has begun to hyperextend often.  the "bone disease" is basically a form of tendinitis and causes the tendon to "stick" or "give way" and causes severe pain.  yesterday while on the elliptical machine my left knee hyperextended.  i was able to stay on the full 30 minutes and get by with little pain but it happened again today while walking winston and so now i am laid up on the couch with ice on my knee in what passes for my post-flood ice pack (a ziploc bag full of ice wrapped in a paper towel) with my civil war book and my pug on one side and cat on the other.  this is it for us tonight.

i managed to write just a little today.  about a page.  yesterday all i managed was one measly paragraph.  sometimes my goal of 2 pages a day comes easily and sometimes it's impossible.  these last 10-12 pages, which have taken me at least 2 months to write, have been torture. 

my anxiety has been a little better today but i'm getting uneasy as darkness approaches.  it feels oppressive today.  my best friend's play opens tonight and i wish that i could be in D.C. cheering her on. 

grace and peace

No comments:

Post a Comment