Monday, January 23, 2012

water torture

after a really nice hike and lunch with a friend today i spent the afternoon in my latest time-wasting effort:  on-line scrabble.  i read some, watched a movie and read some more.

only once on my hike, while crossing a bridge, did the sound of the water racing below make me nervous but tonight i am very anxious about the wind and rain.  i have no idea what kind of storms are expected, and don't care that much, but i got nervous enough that i decided to retire to my bedroom where the rain hitting the skylight in the living room can't be heard as loudly.

problem # 2:  i got my book and cat and dog and moved us one and all when out my bedroom window i saw blue flashing lights (not at all a normal occurrence in my neighborhood) either next door or 2 houses down.  2 of my neighbors that i actually know!  sheer panic!  it was pouring down rain, i was in my pjs, after midnight; i wasn't about to go outside.  but i started to imagine that i had heard loud and suspicious noises (gunshots, car accidents, etc.) when i'm sure i'd heard nothing of the sort.

now i'm back in the living room and i can't tell if the sounds i'm hearing are thunderclaps, howling winds or distortions of my imagination.  the flashes of light are questionable too, "was that lightning or an ambulance?  red or blue or white?!"  i no longer trust my own eyes and ears.  this is one of those times that it would be nice to actually have a guest room like i had pre-flood instead of the storage/exercise/construction-site room i now have.  perhaps i'd be asleep by now...

grace and peace and calm  

No comments:

Post a Comment