Thursday, May 2, 2013

may 2, continued

i drove home tonight shaking like a drunk and sweating like a whore in church.
 
daddy came to be with me at work for the last couple of hours – that was a big help.  but the minute i started north from work i started to feel like i was “under water.” 
my vision began to change, my heart to pound and i had to turn the radio off because the noise was too much.  i just kept thinking that if i could get in the house and shut out the outside world then i wouldn’t have to think about it.  i could just eat my dinner and be with my pets.
first i had to make it there.  i almost came home by the interstate and luckily remembered that if i did that i would have to drive across the river and i can’t do that – today of all days.  i came north on briley and closed my eyes when the river came into view on my left about a half a mile from my exit.  just how would i have explained that if i had caused an accident?
that was the least of my worries.  my head was pounding, i was talking to river as if it could hear and understand my anger and grief.  i’ve hated that river for 3 years for what it did to me.  but it just did what rivers do:  20 inches of rain in 36 hours is simply too much, it had to break free.  but i still can’t.  i’m afraid and i’m anxious and i’m angry and i’m tired.
there is so much that day did to me but the worst of it is that it made me into somebody i’m not.  i was never anxious, i was never afraid of anything.  and now i’m a big coward.  i’m afraid of so many things that make me feel crazy.  i’m afraid of suffering from PTSD my whole life.  i’m afraid that i won’t be able to get better until i can get out of this house and it’s now worth a whole lot less than i paid for it and whole lot less than i owe. 
i love my job but i don’t make enough to qualify for an apartment, let alone a house, even if i were able to unload this heap! 
i lost my safety, my sanity, my boldness, my self-assurance that day.  none of the “stuff” – the physical things – that i lost can compare to the feelings that changed in me and the loss of me. 
i’ve made it to 10:45 and i think i’ll turn out the lights, get into bed and watch an episode of some mindless tv show.  i’ve earned that much.
grace and peace

No comments:

Post a Comment