Thursday, May 17, 2012

95 and counting

i spent today celebrating my grandmother's 95th birthday.  she, my 2 aunts, cousin, daddy and i went to eat and then visited for hours on end (as the bradfords are want to do.)  we listened to stories of her 95 years--her first memory (having pneumonia before her 2nd birthday) the first time she rode in a car (her mother's funeral a month before her 5th birthday) the first time she experienced indoor plumbing and electric lights (a trip to ft. worth to visit an aunt with her daddy and sister not long after her mother died.)  those things are invaluable to know.

i have been blessed with close relationships with my grandparents.  my daddy's daddy died the year i graduated from college.  i was 22.  my other 3 grandparents are alive.  i'm 38!  i love to hear the stories of relatives i never knew, the nicknames, the childhood memories (like the fact that 2 of my grandmama's sisters shared the same imaginary friend, harley.)  those are priceless things.

my anxiety has been high the last few days in anticipation of today.  knowing it would mean a long day outside the house and a trip to a public place.  that, and the ever-present, post-flood fear i have of death.  i spent too many hours worried about the phone call that never came telling me that grandmama hadn't lived to 95.  she was tired at the end of the day but she is fine.  i love her with all my heart.

"95, and my kids still can't keep up with me!"

this has never been more true of a 95 year old.  she still washes and dries the dishes after every meal (no dishwashers for her!)  she did say when i asked her the convenience she most appreciated that when granddaddy bought the electric washing machine that it was nice.  i imagine so with a husband and 5 kids...

i love you mildred lehr crownover bradford!  you are the most Godly, precious woman i've ever known.

grace and peace

No comments:

Post a Comment